Wednesday, June 30, 2010

V02-T14b Gimme Some Skin

.....As per the previous post, Iggy Pop and James Williamson sold a box of Stooges demos and outtakes to Greg Shaw when he launched a record label named after his magazine, BOMP! Once Iggy curtailed his substance abuse, they recorded an album of new material, KILL CITY, which was released in 1977 with a handful of singles while Iggy was in Europe.

Volume 2: "WE'RE ALL GOING TO JAIL FOR THIS, AREN'T WE?", track 14b
  • 02:47 "GIMME SOME SKIN" (Iggy Pop, James Williamson)
  • performed by The Stooges
  • original source: B-side, 7" Siamese PM001 (US) 1977
  • and my source: CD IGGY POP AND THE STOOGES Revenge BF 50 (France) 1987?
.....Shaw dipped back into that box again and again over the years, issuing multiple takes of the same songs. Most if not all of BOMP!'s label samplers and VA compilations have one or two of those Stooges songs. The three singles from 1977 were collected as the mini-album I'M SICK OF YOU (Line LLP 5126) in 1981 and just two years later that album and KILL CITY were the sole sources for yet another compilation, I GOT A RIGHT (Invasion E1019). You may have noted that even though the tapes for these records can be traced to BOMP!, the releases appear on labels such as Siamese, Line and Invasion. I believe Siamese was an early division of BOMP!, Line was a German label to whom the material was licensed and I honestly don't know the story behind Invasion.

.....My source for this track was a CD that combined the KILL CITY and I'M SICK OF YOU albums, one of the first releases on the Revenge label. It was also an early example of a French CD, many of which had problems with frequency compression. Admittedly that's more of a problem for classical opera where they use a greater range of frequencies. A little conscientious reequalization on my part made it sound pretty serviceable or at least as good as I remember the vinyl being.

.....In 1995, each of the three singles from 1977 were reissued as full-length CD's by amending them with alternate versions of their songs. This track appears on the CD for "I GOT A RIGHT" BOMP! BCD 139 (US?) 1995. The mix is probably a mite sharper, too.

.....Two tracks to go for this volume, then I'm giving myself a day to sleep before starting Volume 3.

No comments: