Thursday, October 14, 2010

Halloween - The Bride of Frankenmix

.....From five undocumented home compilations of Halloween themed music, I've gleaned at least 90 minutes of material not already mentioned on the two previously posted. To briefly recap: on the 10th and 11th I posted the playlists of each side of a cassette I compiled for my nephews in the 1998. Then on the 12th and 13th I posted the two sides of a tape I made for myself earlier. I had actually made other Halloween mix tapes, roughly every other year since the late 80's, but chose to run with those two because the 1998 tape was uniquely all-ages and the 1995 tape was 100% mutually exclusive material. The remaining five tapes each contained at least a few songs also on the first two. But there were enough good songs amongst them to fill at least another 90 minutes. And unless I'm mistaken, that's where you came in...

....."THE BRIDE OF FRANKENMIX" Side A

03:34 PUTTIN' ON THE RITZ (Irving Berlin) by Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle
-----from LP MEL BROOKS' GREATEST HITS (1978)
02:59 SPIRITS OF ANCIENT EGYPT (Paul McCartney) by Wings
-----from LP VENUS AND MARS (1975)
05:15 SWAMP (Lyrics:David Byrne; Music:Talking Heads) by Talking Heads
-----from LP SP EAK IN GI N TO NGU ES [sic](1983)
04:35 EYE OF THE ZOMBIE (John Fogerty) by John Fogerty
-----from LP EYE OF THE ZOMBIE (1986)
02:51 STRANGE BREW (Eric Clapton, Felix Pappalardi, Gail Collins) by Cream
-----A-side (1967) and LP DISRAELI GEARS (1967)
02:14 NIGHT OF FEAR (Roy Wood) by The Move
-----A-side (1966) and compilations
06:24 SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL (Mick Jagger, Keith Richards) by The Rolling Stones
-----from LP BEGGAR'S BANQUET (1968)
01:27 I HOLD YOUR HAND IN MINE (Tom Lehrer) by Tom Lehrer
-----from LP SONGS BY TOM LEHRER (1953 or 1966)[entire album was recorded twice]
03:10 I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE (Roky Erikson) by R.E.M.
-----from Various Artists CD WHERE THE PYRAMID MEETS THE EYE (1990)
03:16 I AIN'T NUTHIN' BUT A GOREHOUND (Lux Interior, Ivy Rorschach) by The Cramps
-----from EP SMELL OF FEMALE (1983)
03:03 ASTRAL PLANE (Jonathan Richman) by The Modern Lovers
-----from LP THE MODERN LOVERS (1976)
02:49 EVIL [IS GOING ON] (Chester Burnett) by Howling Wolf
-----B-side (1954) and compilation LP MOANIN' IN THE MOONLIGHT (1965)
04:21 PSYCHO KILLER (David Byrne, Martina Weymouth, Christopher Frantz) by Talking Heads
-----from LP TALKING HEADS '77 (1977)

.....You'll probably noticed that some artists occur more than once during the same program here and Side B (tomorrow), although I avoided doing just that in the four programs that preceded it. Lack of variety was a problem in the earliest incarnations of this project, too. I'd like to think that the quality of the material and adherence to the theme compensate for that. (The songs left off include Mojo Nixon's "The Amazing Bigfoot Diet", because it was really about supermarket tabloids moreso than Bigfoot or the paranormal topics they write about.) Tomorrow I'll put Halloween as a post topic to rest (for this year) but I'll gladly field questions about different sources for any of these tracks in the comment fields.

No comments: