Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bob Dylan's 70th Birthday

.....Tomorrow is the first anniversary of this blog. I have something special planned to tide folks over until I post my revised suggested program for a Cramps compilation. That should take another week. Today I wanted to make note of the fact that it's Bob Dylan's 70th Birthday. I'm guessing that he's keeping it low key because next year marks his fiftieth year recording for Columbia (now part of Sony). I'm not sure what they could do to celebrate, since the last decade has been speckled with some very good examinations of his career, notably the Martin Scorcese documentary "No Direction Home" and the excellent 'official bootleg' series. There was also the first volume of his memoirs. That's just the cream of it. There was also the mono box for the early albums, the Traveling Wilbury's Twentieth Anniversary box, releases tied to his digital radio show, etc. A quick skim through an index of my first ten volumes reveals that I didn't use any Dylan recordings. That could be because in the mid-90's I also compiled a 90-minute cassette of Dylan covers called "Plowmen Dig My Earth". (Boy, now that I think about it, researching that one would have been a lot easier with the internet. Ouch.) Tell you what, if there aren't any plans announced by the end of the year for a Golden Anniversary at Sony, I'll dig it out and post the playlist.

No comments: