Monday, June 07, 2010

V01-T11 Mr. Rogers

.....Yes, it's another cover. No, it's not the last (not by a long shot). And, yes, it's the second punky deconstruction of a childhood memory in a four-song string of childhood memories. I couldn't pass this one up though, because I knew one of the members and because this spot on the playlist was the most comfortable fit.

Volume 1: THE PITCHFORK APPROACH, track 11
  • 02:48 "MR. ROGERS" (Fred Rogers)
  • performed by PBS
  • original source: B-side, 7" Troubled Youth Records TR-001 (US) 1986
  • and my source: the same
.....First I should explain the name. In the late 70's there was a British punk band who called themselves "GBH", short for the criminal charge of "grievous bodily harm". American police use different terminology, so the meaning is lost on many people over here. To slightly nerdy northeasterners, it meant WGBH, Boston, Massachusetts' Public Broadcasting System affiliate. Because that channel produced or co-produced a great deal of programming syndicated for the rest of the network, the station's call letters became synonymous with national public television. Ergo, the name "PBS" was an acknowledgement of the band GBH.

.....Having recorded a pop-punk original for the A-side ("Girl Of My Own"), recording a b-side alluding to the network would have been too good a joke to resist. The theme to the "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood" show (minus the instrumental introduction) would be instantly recognized no matter what they did to it, for those 'of a certain age' at least. Because they worked so prolifically for children, Fred Rogers and his free-form jazz pianist John Costa are usually underestimated as composers (Rogers wrote the songs, Costa the subtle vamps and mood music). A good rule of thumb is that when people will gladly sing along to something you wrote that they haven't heard themselves in decades and they remember all the words, you're a good composer. The new arrangements work for me, too, and lest you think that I'm letting personal bias interfere with my judgement, I should point out that Robert Christgau placed this single at number 22 on his list of top singles for 1986. It beat out Bruce Hornsby's "The Way It Is" at number 23. (From The Village Voice, March 3, 1987)

.....Speaking of punky deconstruction, it continues on the next track but veers away from television. And to switch things up a bit, it's our first medley.

6 comments:

John Lindsay said...

Hi pblfsda
Was excited to come across you blog as I've been looking for PBS Mr Rogers/Girl Of My Own for quite some time. I wondered if you would consider making a mp3 of the tracks? My email is johnlindsay@mail.com. I'd be eternally grateful.
Warm Regards
John

John Lindsay said...

Hi There
I was excited to come across your blog. I've been looking for PBS Mr Rogers/Girl Of My Own for quite some time. I wondered if you would consider making an mp3 of the tracks? I’m happy to pay you for your trouble. My email is johnlindsay@mail.com. I'd be eternally grateful.
Warm Regards
John

pblfsda said...

Hello, John,

Sorry to have taken so long to respond, but as you may have guessed if you've been checking in with any regularity, I haven't been able to post due to hard drive problems. In fact, I've only read your request today. I will contact you at your email address later this week to discuss accessability to this music, but I would have to remind other readers that major label (and most minor label) recordings are not going to be made available through this blog for obvious legal reasons.

John Lindsay said...

Hi there
Would you mind re-sending the email.
I think it might have gone into spam and I accidentally deleted it.
Thanks again.
John Lindsay

John Lindsay said...

Hi again
Be great if you could drop me a line with some details about the pressing. I imagine you're busy but it would be great to see a jpeg of the cover and label. I'd very much like to hear it or buy it if you would be up for selling it. Anything you can help with would be really apprecaited.
John
johnlindsay@mail.com

pblfsda said...

John,
You don't need my help. The original video from the 1980's is now on You-tube. I found it at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ad8PkYZzqU

and you can visit the page dedicated to the band at:
http://www.youtube.com/user/pbsoww

Unbeknownst to me when I posted the blog, the video had already been up for about two years. Now at three years it's had 11,000+ views and, since it comes directly from the band's sources, has much better sound quality than I can manage from a fourth generation mp3.