Sunday, June 20, 2010

V02-T06 Dad, I'm In Jail

.....Before the introduction of YouTube, short experimental pieces of animation were gathered together into feature-length festivals and tournees and shown in repertory movie theaters. Before they ever appeared on television, I saw the original version of Ren & Stimpy and Beavis & Butthead shorts in a movie theater. That's also the way I first heard the following recording:

Volume 2: "WE'RE ALL GOING TO JAIL FOR THIS, AREN'T WE?", track 6
  • 01:25 "DAD, I'M IN JAIL" (David Was, Don Was)
  • performed by Was (Not Was)
  • original source: B-side, 7" Mercury WAS2 (UK) 1987
  • and my source: CD WHAT UP, DOG? Chrysalis VK41664 (US) 1988
.....I'm not going to argue with the villainous CheckSpelling feature Blogger uses over what the appropriate plural of "Was" is, so let's just say they're each producers, not brothers. (Two days ago it wouldn't accept the word 'ambience'; I held the American Heritage Dictionary open and looked from the page to the screen and back again, half relieved that I wasn't prematurely senile and half angry that I had wasted time looking up a word I had spelled correctly the first time.)

.....The animation was shown in my area of the country at least as far back as 1991, but could have been made in conjunction with the album's release. In 1984 their work on what would have been their third album, tentatively titled "Lost In Prehistoric Detroit" according to the site WorldWideWas.com, led to chronic fights with the Geffen label and the band's contract changed hands a few times. By the time the final version of the album emerged as WHAT UP, DOG? they had released several singles it would then include, giving it the feel of a hits compilation. This 'song' was the B-side of SPY IN THE HOUSE OF LOVE.

.....The next track goes from cartoon to comic books.

No comments: